At some point or another, every Christian will experience a period of grief, depression, or uncertainty. Sometimes these feelings of grief, depression, or uncertainty can be a result of spiritual warfare. They can also be caused by a grievous event in life such as the death of a loved one or other traumatic experiences. Maybe you’re feeling uncertain and panicking over your financial situation and you don’t know what the future holds. Maybe nothing traumatic has happened and you’re just struggling with feeling depressed.
No matter what your situation may be, these times of tribulation can feel exhausting. We may start to wonder if it will ever end. If this has been you lately, I’ve got good news for you, sister- it will pass. God is faithful, and He will get you through every storm life may throw your way. Nothing is impossible for Him, and He is faithful to carry us through every season in life, especially the super tough ones. Let these verses encourage you today.
“I have said these things to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33
4 Things to Remember When You’re Going Through a Season of Grief, Depression, or Uncertainty
1. You Are Loved
“For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” – Romans 8:38-39
When we’re going through rough seasons in life, we can sometimes feel like God doesn’t love us anymore, or as much as we once felt like He did. Sister, I want you to tell yourself out loud right now that you are so loved. Nothing can separate you from His love. Declare it, say it until you believe it. Cling to it. You are so very precious to God, and He hasn’t forgotten you. Read the following verses and pause for a moment to really let them sink in.
- “Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of My hands; your walls are ever before Me.” – Isaiah 49:15-16
- “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even all the hairs on your head are numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.” – Matthew 10:29-31
- “Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.” – 1 Peter 5:7
- “You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in Your bottle. You have recorded each one in Your book.” – Psalm 56:8
God has you engraved on the palms of His hands! He will never, ever forget you. He sees and knows better than anyone what you’re going through, and He wants to help you. The Bible tells us to cast all of our anxieties on Him, because He cares for us. He doesn’t get tired of hearing our problems- He is always there to patiently listen. He wants us to come to Him with all of our fears, worries, doubts, and pain.
2. God is With You
“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” – Isaiah 41:10
God has promised us that He will never leave us. Would a good father ever abandon his children? Of course not! Our Heavenly Father will never leave us or forsake us, and because of this, we don’t have to be afraid. We can stand confident no matter what circumstance we may find ourselves in, knowing that He is right there with us!
- “It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; He will never leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” – Deuteronomy 31:8
- “The Lord is faithful in all His words, and kind in all His works. The Lord upholds all who are falling, and raises up all who are bowed down.” – Psalm 145:13-14
- “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9
He Will Deliver & Carry You
“Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.” Isaiah 46:4
God never loses sight of you. He knows what you’re going through, and as hopeless as it may feel sometimes, He will carry you through it. (Quick note: speaking of God carrying us through hardships, I highly recommend listening to Do It Again by Elevation Worship- it is such a good song about trusting in Him!) God knows exactly what He’s doing, and even though we don’t understand what is going on at times, we can trust that He will work it out flawlessly. He is so faithful!
- “When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles.” – Psalm 34:17
- “I waited patiently for the Lord; He inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord.” – Psalm 40:1-3
3. Nothing is Too Difficult, Too Big, or Too Much for God
“But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” – Matthew 19:26
Ever felt so down that you felt like you’re too far for God to help you? Have you ever been in a situation where you feel like you just don’t know how God could possibly work everything out for the better? Well my sister, if you have, I want you to know that nothing is too difficult, too big, or too much for God. He is the God who created the entire universe. He created you and me, and all the creatures upon the Earth. When we were full of sin, He came down and died for us (Romans 5:8). Through His shed blood for us, we have freedom and redemption. He paid the price for every single person who believes in Him, for every single sin they have or will ever commit. Not even sin and death can keep us from His love! And because of His sacrifice for us, we can come boldly to His throne of grace to receive help and mercy in the time of need. Nothing is too hard for Him!
- “Lord God! It is You who have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and by Your outstretched arm! Nothing is too hard for You.” – Jeremiah 32:17
- “Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” – Hebrews 4:16
- “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” – Mark 11:24
- “For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.”” – Matthew 17:20
Jesus tells us that faith as small as a mustard seed is mountain-moving faith. Maybe you’re at a place where you feel like your faith is wearing thin. Friend, I have been there. In fact, we all have or will at one point or another. However, God is faithful to bring us through those times of doubt too. We can even ask Him to help us with our doubt, and He will. Take a look at this verse:
- “Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!” – Mark 9:24
This is a verse from the book of Mark, where Jesus casts out a deaf and mute spirit from a boy. The father of the boy had little faith in his flesh, but He knew Jesus was God, so he cried out for Jesus to help his unbelief. Immediately Jesus helped him and cast the spirit out of his child. If your struggles have caused your faith to become fragile, call out to Jesus, ask Him to strengthen you and help you. He will bring you out of that pit! I know He has for me several times throughout my walk with Him, and He will for you, too. We are so blessed to have a God who loves us so much, and never gives up on us!
4. Put On the Garment of Praise
“to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that He might be glorified.” – Isaiah 61:3
The Bible gives us a key here to overcoming the spirit of heaviness: the garment of praise. When things are going good in our lives, we praise Him. But we also need to praise Him in our times of hardship, too. When we raise up our hands and sing praises to Him, it not only helps bring us closer to Him, but it will break those feelings of heaviness off of us. It strengthens our faith and reminds us that He is in control and He is faithful! Focus on Him and His faithfulness. Meditate on His love for you.
More Bible Verses to Remember
- “For to us a child is born, to us a Son is given; and the government shall be upon His shoulder, and His name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” – Isaiah 9:6
- “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” – Romans 8:28
“Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free. The Lord is on my side; I will not fear.” – Psalm 118:5-6
“No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.” – Romans 8:37
- “Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” – Matthew 11:28-30
- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight.” – Proverbs 3:5-6
- “From the end of the earth, I will call to You, when my heart is overwhelmed. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” – Psalm 61:2
- “The LORD your God is in your midst, a Mighty One who will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you by His love; He will exult over you with loud singing.” – Zephaniah 3:17
- “I sought the LORD, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.” – Psalm 34:4
If you would like to submit a prayer request or if you would like to pray for others, please visit the prayer page.